About us

We are a hard working, family of eight. Swimming in the sea when we aren't busy on our small holding. Daddy dragon has to work away a lot, so this blog is to let him keep up with our adventures at home.

Friday 30 November 2012

Need Nog!

Okay, so December is almost upon us and it is time to get into the spirit of things. 

What better way to do that than Egg Nog!


All you lucky North Americans out there, can simply meander into your local grocery store and pick up a carton... so jealous... so much...


Rather I was, before I started making home made nog. 


Which is, if I do say so myself, Awesome!


Over here, the only nog available is tinned and shipped by Amazon.


Seriously... tinned nog. 


So wrong.


Do you feel my pain? 


Or am I just being overly dramatic?


Okay, okay, anyways on to the recipe:



  • 4 egg yolks
  • 1/3 cup sugar, plus 1 tablespoon
  • 1 pint whole milk
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 3 ounces bourbon 
  • 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
  • 4 egg whites*

Directions

In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the egg yolks until they lighten in color. Gradually add the 1/3 cup sugar and continue to beat until it is completely dissolved. Add the milk, cream, bourbon and nutmeg and stir to combine.
Place the egg whites in the bowl of a stand mixer and beat to soft peaks. With the mixer still running gradually add the 1 tablespoon of sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
Whisk the egg whites into the mixture. Chill and serve.
(Completely stolen from Alton Brown at the Food Network)

I'm not a huge bourbon fan so I used whiskey, and with the help of some neighbours tried a second batch, phew where did the first catch go???, with rum. 

We tried this recipe sans alcohol out on the hatchlings, the nog is pasteurised, and while the eggs I use are straight form the chicken so to speak, well, no need to tempt fate.




All are good. 

I found this lady's recipe quite something. If you are serving nog to eight people, you may wish to try her recipe. (Best tell them not to drive though!)



I've not tried her recipe as yet. 

So if you do, let me know how that goes.

Hatchlings are divided on the 'to nog or not to nog' subject. 


That is fine we have plenty of hot chocolate.

So, I shall part, and ask you to join us, as we turn on the carols and commence a blogging advent to December 25th. 
Each day, I will post a festive recipe or holiday craft, both if we have had time, that the hatchlings and I are doing. We love this time of year and are trying to make the most of it, and entertain ourselves through these rather short, dark and chilly days. We'll probably have a splash of normal posts in between which should make for lots to see.
Happy Nog!
I mean, Happy Holidays!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome darling, as always!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya

    just wanted to say thanks for posting this blog up. been looking for a good egg nog recipe everywhere. This one came out perfect. We did replace the whiskey with brandy and added a bit more :) but came out really tasty.

    Thanks very much and merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete