About us

We are a hard working, family of eight. Swimming in the sea when we aren't busy on our small holding. Daddy dragon has to work away a lot, so this blog is to let him keep up with our adventures at home.

Wednesday 7 November 2012

Chocolate + beer = cake

We love to have beer battered fish and chips, but we do not love to drink beer. It is a waste. Especially, as I buy really nice beer.


The Orkney ales are really the best beer I have tried. Orkney's handcrafted ales are a small brewery at its best.

I shall not blather on about notes and taste. I know nothing about beer, but these are good, of that I am sure.

Anyways, I digress, we keep wasting good beer. 

So we did what anyone would, we made cake.

Lemons makes lemonade.

Beer makes cake.

There is sense there somewhere, even if it does not belong to me. 

The result is the most moist cake I have ever made. 

I am very please with the texture. It is just perfect, and no crust, just soft, springy, moist cake.



Chocolate Beer cake

1/2 cup cocoa powder

1 1/2 cups flour

1/3 cup softened butter

1/4 cup molasses 

1/2 cup caster sugar

1/2 tsp baking powder

1tsp baking soda (bicarb of soda)

2 large eggs and 1 extra yolk

200ml of beer

1. Sift dry ingredient then blend in the wet ones.

2. Bake in a pre - heated  350F/ 180C oven for about 35 minutes.

3. Allow to cool fully and then wrap in baking parchment.

While I have yet to try it, I am betting this will actually be even better if left to age a day or two.



No comments:

Post a Comment