About us

We are a hard working, family of eight. Swimming in the sea when we aren't busy on our small holding. Daddy dragon has to work away a lot, so this blog is to let him keep up with our adventures at home.

Wednesday 5 September 2012

Lighthouse


It has been a really busy couple weeks. Daddydragon is leaving in 2 days and it never feels like there were enough days between him arriving and him leaving. I shall be thankful though, he is healthy and happy, and well. I'll try my best not to stomp my foot and say, 'No fair!'.

We have gone down to the sea to try catching clams. We still have to build winter dog houses, but we've started. The chicken house roof was damaged in a storm, so that is on the list today. The children have been excited and eager to help put some of our birds in the freezer. I am still unsure why I was so hesitant to let them help. They were happy eager helpers, and have smiled broadly through three roast dinners. 

'This is the best chicken in the whole world!' Hatchling no2 said.
'That is because you took such good care of it.' I told her.

 At this rate we need to triple our flock numbers for the table next year. It has been a very good experience.

For that I am thankful.

I have been busy baking and experimenting with sourdough again. I have my starters tucked away in different warm corners of the house.

The most sour by far is the one I put in the boys room. Go figure, eh.

I shall blog post about bread separately though. 

We have started our schooling in earnest, and the hatchlings are trying to find their feet with extra activities. Left to their own devices they'd run themselves ragged. I'm not very good at saying no, it is not a great balance. I think I need to say pick two, or three, which somehow becomes four or five... Temperance is a good thing.


The other day, cool, wet, and windy though it was, we took the children across the slippery causeway to the lighthouse.


It was big and one little boy collected many great rocks.

There is a sandy beach, on the little island where the lighthouse is, that is made only of seashells. It is really pretty and I hope one day to see it in the sunshine.


It was a good day, and for now I shall simply wish for more of them.

Because I'm a bit greedy like that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment